Hope: Hope and Change
Topic: Biblical Passage: Hebrews 10:19–10:25
Hope and Change
New T-Shirt design
As iron cuts, heats, and hammers iron, so one cuts, heats and hammers another (expnanded Proverbs 27:17)
Million Dollar Question
What if hope is anchored in the reality that I need others to sharpen me and God has made a way to use others so that I can be the very best version of me that I was designed to be?
Hope in Hebrews
Structure of our text: Stacking the exhortations... Because of what Christ has done... (vss. 19-21)
- "Let us" (force of an imperative) DRAW NEAR. (vs. 22)
- "Let us" (force of an imperative) HOLD FAST TO THE CONFESSION OF OUR HOPE. (vs.23)? This baits the question WHAT IS THAT?
- "Namely, LET US" (force of an imperative with a final use of the conjuction) consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet as is the habit of some, but encouraging oneanother, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
- Hope: Drawing near (to the presence of God) with the household of God (church, gathering) so that others can be used to bring about change in us, becoming the person God designed us to be.
Hope that we are the HOUSEHOLD of God
Hebrews 3:6 Hebrews 8:18-19
Hope that in drawing near as a household will perfect us (transform, change)
Hebrews 7:19 Hebrews 10:1-2
- We need each other 2 Corinthians 1:4
" The church is not a theological classroom. It is a conversation, confession, repentance, reconcilation, forgiveness and sanctification center, where flawed people place their faith in Christ, gather to know and love him better, and learn to love others as he designed." -Paul David Tripp, Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in need of change helping people in need of change
2. This should produce AWE... Acts 2:42-44
3. The gathered family in the presence ofGodis an agent for CHANGE.
"Christ works on us in all sorts of ways, but above all he works on us through each other. We are carriers of Christ to each other. It's easy to think the church has many purposes: education, building, missions, hilding services, but the purpose of all those purposes is one. The church has no other purpose than to draw people into Christ, to make them like little Christs. If they're not doing that, then all the cathedrals, missions, sermons, even the teaching of the Bible are simply a waste of time." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
The BASIS and the MEANS of HOPE
The BASIS of HOPE
Blood, Barriers, Brother
- Blood Hebrews 10:19
- Barriers Hebrews 10:20
- Brother Hebrews 10:21 Hebrews 2:11
The MEANS of HOPE
Considering, Stirring, Working, encouraging
- Is that our HOPE? The answer to our struggle is to TRUST IN THE WORD OF GOD. Hebrews 10:23
- Life together has to get on the schedule
- Getting over the WEIRDNESS OF FAMILY