Hope: A Living Hope
Topic: Biblical Passage: 1 Peter 1:3–1:9
1 Peter 1:3-9
- I am not naturally a fan of suffering
- I am not satisfied with who I am... Don't love everything about me...
Million Dollar Question
What if these two things, that naturally are not my favorite things, work together through the power of hope to make my life exceptional?
Acronym Living Hope
N.ew L.ife B.egins, C.reating J.oy
- We NEED hope
1 Peter 1:3, Epheasians 2:12
"Without Christ there is no hope." -Charles Spurgeon
2. We need a LIVING hope Hebrews 4:12
3. The essence of a living hope is that we can become the very BEST version of ourselves (and sometimes) by means of suffering.
1 Peter 1:6-7, Roman 8:17, 29
It is often (not always), through suffering that God transforms us into "EXCEPTIONAL SPLENDID BEINGS."
"It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you can talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations... There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations-these are mortal and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immorals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit- immortals horrors or everlasting splenders." -C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory
4. Hope is reaching CERTITUDE that God is working toward that end
"Hope is called the anchor of the soul (Hebrews 6:19), becaus it gives stability to the Christian life. But hope is not simply a wish (I wish that such-and-such would take place); promises of the furture that God has made." -RC Sproul
"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to know God." -Corrie Ten Boom
How God Gives Us Certainty
- He is the one producing the action in the faithful work on our behalf (in the past). 1 Peter 1:3
- According to His GREAT MERCY...
- He caused us to be born again into a living hope
- Its all built on the RESURRECTION OF CHRIST
2. He has guaranteed our future 1 Peter 1:4-5
Therefore, we are empowered by a LIVING HOPE that He is at work NOW!
5. The resultis an exceptional JOY that leads to the glory of Christ.
1 Peter 1:8-9