Hope: Hope at the Tomb
Topic: Biblical Passage: 1 Corinthians 15
HE IS RISEN!
FOG: "Why am I here?"
Matthew 16:21, John 2:18-19, Mark 9:31, John 20:2, John 20:13, John 20:14
LIFTING THE FOG
- Do we have early testimony?
- Do we have eye witness testimony?
- Do we have multiple, independent, eye witness sources?
- Are they reilable?
- Do we have corroborating evidence from archeology and other writers?
- Do we have any enemies that attest to the fact of the resurrection?
- Does the testimony contain events that are embarrassing to the authors?
Resurrection and KNOWING
1 Timothy 3:16, John 1:1-4
"Why am I here?"
We were created for the purpose of worship...and specifically to worship Christ.
FEAR: "What went wrong?"
"Mary was on the outside of every single category of inside/outside the world had. She was a woman, not a man. She was poor, not middle class. She was deranged, not sane. She was immoral, not moral. She was on the outside of everything." -Tim Keller
" Now as a literary historian, I am perfectly convinced that whatever else the Gopels ar, they are not legends. I have read a great deal of legends (myth) and I am quite clear that they are not the same sort of thing." -C. S. Lewis (1898-1963) Professor of Medievel andRenaissance Literature at Cambridge University
Another Garden... Eden (Genesis 1-3)
Fog: "Why am I here?"
Answer: To worship the triune God
Answer: The fall brought the curse of death, alienation, and condemnation.
FAITH: 'What is the solution?"
Jesus takes the curse of Death on Himself and then DEFEATS IT!
John 20:15-16, Romans 5:8, Philippians 2:7-10
Jesus' death on our behalf removed our alienation...
Jesus' death on our behalf removed our condemnation...
John 20:16-17, Romans 8:1
Faith: "What is the solution?"
Answer: Jesus Romans 8:1
TODAY...the resurrection means...
- your sins are forgiven (Colossians 1:14)
- You are brought near to God (reconciliation) (2 Corinthians 5:18)
- Restored to aNEW LIFE ( 2 Corinthians 5:17)