Joy: Joy and Community
Topic: Biblical Passage: Philippians 2:1–2:11
Joy and Community
The Bible opens up with it...
Genesis 2:18, 24
The Bible closes with it...
Survey: The struggle (Paul Tripp)
- Letting go of a moment of hurt
- Getting angry at the way teenagers complicate our lives
- Becoming defensive when challenged
- Avoiding conflict out of fear
- Resigned to broken relationships that could be healed
- Gossiping about others
- Compromising our convictions to win other's approval
- Pursuing comfortable relationships and avoiding difficult ones
- Living in isolation to avoid the pain of community
The Focal point is the cross!
A walk through how the players of the text see the cross!
- God the Father
RELINQUISHING in Philippians 2:5-8
- Relinquishing form Philippians 2:6-7
- Relinquishing status
- Relinquishing life Philippians 2:8
RAMIFICATIONS in light of the CROSS
IF WE HAVE EXPERIENCED THE JOY OF THE CROSS, then JOY IN COMMUNTIY happens when we RELINQUISH!
- Our advantage (status, form, rights) over to others
- Our desire for superiority
- Our LIVES (self promotion) for the good of others (their promotion and advance in the gospel)