Joy: Joy and Death
Topic: Biblical Passage: Philippians 1:18–1:30
The Center of Chapter One and the book of Philippians
Paul's Best Moment...
Paul's Conversation and Radical Values that form the foundation of Philippians
- To know (intimacy with) Christ Jesus
- That others may know Him (the advance of the gospel)
- His death (martyrdom) is the greatest experience of both of these values
- The book is a polemic (fight) against wrong values
- Unity in FEARLESS DEFENSE (proclaiming) of the gospel
- With GREAT RISK/SACRIFICE
Still, is death our best moment?
2 Corinthians 5:6-8
- If the believer is not physically alive, He is in the presence of Jesus
- If the believer is physically alive, he is away from Jesus
- You are either dead and therefore with CHRIST or you are alvie, and not with Christ. There is no third option.
- In dying, transition from toil to rest
- ...we transition from perfection to imperfection
- ...we live by sight, not by faith alone
- ...we move from tears, heartahce, pain to unending perfect enjoyment of the very presence and glory of Jesus
Which box are you living out of???
- If I failed or lost it, what would cause me to not even want to live???
- What do I use to comfort myself when things are not going well???
- What do I daydream about???
- What would make me happy???