Gospel Of John: Shameless
Topic: Biblical Passage: John 21:1–21:19
Two introductory thoughts:
- This is not primarily about a fish fry...bread is not primarily bread.
- This is not primarily about catching a net full of delicious grouper
Bottom line up front:
- bread is about intimacy short t fishing is about mission. What happens when SHAME unhinges is from intimacy and what happens when a lack of intimacy unhinges is from mission?
Three R’s of the Gospel:
- From condemnation to no condemnation
- From self-reliance to Christ-reliance
- From isolation to community
- From fruitlessness to fruitfulness.
- “You are valuable”...I will not loose one
- You are NEW
- You will have (we have) the Holy Spirit
- You will be transformed
- You will have glorious impact
In the day of Pentecost, Peter was the main speaker to the crowd in Jerusalem, and the church began with an influx of about 3,000 new believers
Later, Peter healed a lame beggar and preached boldly before he Sanhedrin. Even arrests, beatings and threats could not dampen Peter’s resolve to preach the risen Christ.
Peter “unlocked” three different worlds and opened opened the door of the church to Jews, Samaritans and gentiles
Later in life, Peter spent time with John Mark, who wrote the gospel of Mark based on Peter’s remembrances of his time with Jesus.
Peter wrote two inspired epistles, 1 and 2 Peter, between A.D. 60 and 68. Jesus said that Peter would die a martyr’s death —a prophecy fulfilled, presumably, during Nero’s reign.
Peter was crucified upside down in Rome, empowered by Christ to highest honor of the gospel