Revolution: Getting Over Yourself
Topic: Biblical Passage: Matthew 5:38–5:46
1. Your heart is an idol factory
"An idol is anything in my life that occupies a place that should be occupied by God alone...An idol is something that holds such a controlling position in my life that it moves and rouses and attracts me so easily that I give my time, attention, and money to. It effortlessly." - Martin Lloyd-Jones
- John 18:19-22
- John 19:23
- Philippians 2:6-9
- Philippians 2:5
- Matthew 5:20, 44, 48
- Give balance to revenge
- Expose our evil heart in revenge
2. How does the gospel overcome evil and release us from bondage?
- Romans 12:17-21
A. Leave JUDGMENT in the hands of God... "I. Will repay..." This liberates you to love and leaves judgement in the hands of God.
B. The gospel eradicates the IDOLATRY of status, reputation, and things. The new heart absorbs evil, and returns good. - Ephesians 1:4-11
C. The gospel overcomes EVIL.
3. The Gospel works
A. The gospel moves us to KEEP NO RECORD of wrongs...to let the offense go.
B. Reflect on your own brokenness, your depravity, your idolatry (status, reputation, things) - Romans 7:24-8:2
C. Take the Gospel initiative to heal...to live in peace (as far as it is up to you)
D. Truly FORGIVEN
- I will not think of the offense
- I will not use it against you...I will keep no record
- I will not talk about it with others
- I will serve you with joy